Saturday, October 07, 2006

A five gallon batch (banana)

I recently made a five gallon batch of banana wine, it should come out to be about 13-15% ABV and here is how I went about it.

I researched a recipe and it was only one gallon so I had to come up with my own.


Those are the main ingredients for the wine, about 10 lbs of bananas 15 lbs of sugar and some nylons, I dont have the orange juice that I used in this picture, but I also included 5 cups of
orange juice.

Pictured here are all of the bananas cut up, skins and all, and placed into the nylons. Tie them at the top and leave a tail of nylon about a foot or two long that you can tie to the side of the pot or something above it.

Now I tied the nylons to somehting above my pot and placed the water on high and waited. I actually waited for a total of an hour and a half to get all five gallons of water to boil. If you only have a five gallon carboy you should only place about four gallons of water into the pot because adding the sugar will increase the volume greatly. I have a 6.5 gallon carboy and in the end it was almost completly full.


The orange juice.



Adding the orange juice- your water and mixture should almost be at a boil at this point.





After the very slow boil starts you will get a foam- you can boil the bananas for as long as you want from here on out, mine were in the water for a total of two hours and about 45 mins of that time the temperature was at about 200 degrees F.


At this point you can remove the bananas and place them into another pot, let them drain and collect the juice, if you want you can even mash them around in the nylons once they have cooled and extract more juice, add that back into your large pot. Next you want to stir in all of the sugar, yes all 15 lbs. Pour in one bag at a time.



Here is the transfered must into the glass carboy. There are some steps that have been skipped here including: cooling the must, the stuff you made before it is fermented, I actually cooled the whole pot by dipping it into a swimming pool with the lid on very carefully. I also did not include transfering the liquid from the pot to the glass carboy of information on the airlock on the top of the carboy. The last step would be adding the yeast, if anyone is interested please comment.

2 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

How long will it take for the wine to be ready to drink? I have been a beer homebrewer for a while now and have been thinking of trying some wine. Do you think a fruit wine is the right place to start? How many bottles do you get out of a batch? Sorry for so many questions but I'm courious.
Kevin

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Te De Mu Winery said...

This will ferment for about 3 weeks to a month, then you would rack it between carboys for as long as you would like, mainly until it clears. Five gallons will fill i think either 24 or 48 750ml standard wine bottles. A fruit wine would be a good place to start, especially a grape wine, although the grapes are hard to come by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home